Saturday, June 08, 2013

Germany, Summer and Sausages

When I’m reminded of my time in Germany it mostly happens during the winter, the combination of diesel exhaust on a cold wind take me back.

I was caught off guard the other day when I dug in to a plate of bangers & mash at Usher’s House in Moorhead. The first bite of grilled sausage with ground mustard transported me back to the summer I manned an EIB test course when I was young and sported a smaller waistline.

I got in the habit of eating lunch at a little shack of a restaurant whenever I could hitch a ride in from the field. Their sausages were nice and crisp, topped with a tasty mustard and served on a hard bun that soaked up the grease.

I was sitting at a table with a group of friends in 2013, but for a moment it felt like 20 years ago and halfway around the world. I closed my eyes and could see that little restaurant, red wooden tables against white plaster walls, hear the murmur of lunchtime conversations spoken in German by big, blue collar types over sausages and beer.

Wow.

The Facial Scar Experiment

Think about it.