Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Hackers gonna hack your ride

I WAS DRIVING 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

Last thing I need is for some zit popping basement dweller to fuck with my brakes while I’m trucking across town on a donut & coke run, all from the comfort of his mom’s house in BFE. Two guys accomplished this in a few years, imagine what it’s going to be like in 5 years now that folks KNOW it can be done.

Like I need another reason to prefer older cars to the new hotness.

Poached from Wirecutter.

~Hoozyrdady.

The Facial Scar Experiment

Think about it.